Seems like a green week at home this week, last weekend picked up sprouted moong dal from local desi store. Growing up sprouted moong dal was eaten everyday by my uncle and grandpa and we as kids were forced to eat, which we successfully would try to avoid for most time. Infact moong is one of the easiest to sprout and when temperature gets hot all it takes is overnight for moong to sprout.
Today's recipe is very simple and can be made according to choice of spices.
2 cups sprouted moong dal
1 big tomato cubed into peices
garlic about an inch cut finely
1 tbsp amchur powder (dried mango)
1 tbsp red chili powder
1 tbsp jeera
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp spice powder of your choice (garam masala/dhania powder/godha masala)
salt according to taste
1/2 tbsp haldi/tumeric
2 tbsp oil
and juice of half a lemon (optional)
1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan, add jeera and mustard seeds. When mustard seeds start to pop add tomatoes and tumeric and saute for 3-4 minutes.
2. Microwave sprouts for about 4-5 minutes and then add them to above pan.
3. Add salt, choice of masala and chili powder and mix well.
4. Allow to cook covered for 5 minutes
5. Remove from heat and add lemon juice if you desire.
Makes for one healthy protein filled sabji/curry.