Spicy Hara Bhara Paneer Kababs
The wait is over and summer vacations are officially on. When I dreamt of summer vacations I envisioned schedule free days, no mad rush in the morning, no carpools and picks up to worry about kind of summer,was I in for a surprise or what ? summer vacations are turning out to be more stressful than imagined for the lack of routine. My childhood summers were spent carefree, the day school ended was the last time we looked at our books, off we were to grandparents home for close to two months. What followed was sheer fun, playing with cousins, sleeping on the terrace under the open sky counting stars and looking for constellations, listening to uncles and grandmom's stories, eating mangoes to hearts content and just living a life of child. I so wish my kids experienced the same. The reality of today's summer is very brutal especially for kids in US as they get to higher grades. Summers for kids here especially in Bayarea is about taking courses in Math, computer sciences, etc.. to get to advance placements. The rush and the rat race for kids is really sad, sometimes I wonder what are we teaching kids when they can't think and act independent and enjoy some downtime and may be do nothing for a change.
1/2 cup Cilantro
1/2 cup Mint
1/2 cup Green chilies
1 cup Yogurt
1/4 cup Cream ( Optional, makes vegetable and meat tender)
1 tbsp of Pepper
1 tbsp of Red Chili powder
1 tbsp of Garam Masala
1 tbsp of fresh ginger & garlic paste
1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
and salt according to taste
Paneer cubed about 2 inches
Green, Yellow and Red peppers
Sweet green chilies
1 onion cut into thick big chunks
1. Grind green chilies, corriander and mint into a fine paste
2. Take yogurt in a bowl and add the above mixture and all the dry ingredients
3. Mix well till all the ingredients are well mixed
4. Now prick Paneer, pepper and chilies with a fork, this allows for the marinate to seep in and absorb the flavors
5. Add tomatoes and toss till all the vegetables are well coated
6. Transfer the contents into a ziploc bag and allow to marinate for atleast 2~3 hours, the longer the better.
8. I use my trusted Cuisinart grill to sear, few minutes on all the sides and wallah delicious Kababs are ready to be savored.
Any one looking to buy an indoor grill/griddle I recommend Cuisinart griddler, makes for one excellent grill without the hassle of clean up and did I mention its very portable.
So here is hoping for a relaxing summer and wishing all of you the same. Hope you unwind and relax with friends and family grilling and just plain doing nothing :)